While I had always loved writing, it had always seemed more like a hobby than a career path until college. My time spent agonizing over my future while dutifully taking biology classes freshman year culminated in a deep dive of personal SWOT analyses and trips to the career center. At the other end of the tunnel I came out in the field of publishing. My choice in majors and minors gifted me with the opportunities of studying abroad in Seville and Rome, writing for a travel magazine and studying ancient civilizations.
After graduating, I realized I wasn't quite ready to give up the glam life of term papers and ivory towers, so I continued my studies in communication at Saint Louis University and graduated with an M.A. in 2012. During graduate school, I expanded my professional skills in AP writing and editing, research, strategic communication, and marketing both in the classroom and at my internship with the Saint Louis Art Museum. I also worked with AmeriCorps St. Louis and 9 Network of Public Media on rebranding and marketing projects. My thesis, Framing in a Polarized Media Environment: Park51, Pundits, and the Public, is available online for anyone needing some light bedtime reading. To balance out my palate, I wrote a food blog called As Good As Bread for fun on the side.
I began my professional career in 2012 with Elsevier, an international health and science publisher. In my 3-year tenure as a content development specialist, I worked on veterinary medicine textbooks (including a first-edition tome on llamas and alpacas) and adaptive learning and quizzing products, led as the editor-in-chief of the women’s network organization, and served on two charity boards.
Writing & Editing Experience
Our Connection/Sage, Elsevier Women's Network
- Served as editor-in-chief 2015
- Re-branded newsletter & designed new website for EWN St. Louis Chapter
- Restrictions May Apply: The State of Maternity Leave in the US September 2015
- Listen While You Work: 10 Talks by Women That Everyone Should Watch
- "The Power of Storytelling in Business" presented by Paul Abrahams, Head of Corporate Communications, RELX Group, September 2015
- Emotional Intelligence at Work December 2015
- How Leadership Can Engage Employees and Improve Morale December 2015
US Wide Financial/Matchbox Design Group
- Wrote web copy for US Wide Financial developing website in collaboration with Matchbox Design Group
Saint Louis Art Museum
- Wrote & edited 4 pieces on current exhibits for museum member magazine
- Wrote social media marketing proposals for Pinterest, Tumblr, Foursquare & Instagram
- Designed currently-implemented This Week at the Museum newsletter
Saint Louis University
- Strategized marketing & rebranding efforts for 9 Academy & AmeriCorps St. Louis (including logo redesign, web design mockup, flyers, poster, and ad campaign write-ups).
Project Management Experience
Associate Content Development Specialist • Elsevier • 2012-2015
- Managed & developed adaptive e-learning products (Elsevier Adaptive Quizzing and Elsevier Adaptive Learning) from pre-contract stage through launch. Developed item writing guidelines, product plans and key strategy documents.
- Created schedules and kept subject matter experts, writers, copyeditors, reviewers, freelancers and proofreaders motivated and on track for meeting deadlines.
- Reviewed and optimized product quality, ensuring clarity, consistency, and completeness.
Veterinary Medicine Textbooks
- Developed and wrote book proposals, including full reviews of financial plan, book physical specifications, detailed description and publication plan for upcoming editions.
- Developed schedules for receipt of manuscript, review, and transmittals.
- Coordinated and analyzed reviews of manuscript.
- Coordinated illustration program with authors and design department.
- Performed UAT testing on new technology and optimization of content for adaptive learning products.
- Served as editor-in-chief of Elsevier Women's Network newsletter.
- Planned and implemented a rebranding effort to boost membership of EWN. Rebranding included design and launch of new website using Squarespace and MailChimp.
- Raised $2,500 for Camp Quality Central Missouri as chair member of Children’s Committee at company holiday party.
- Coordinated fundraising efforts for company involvement in St. Louis 100 Neediest Cases.
Graduate Assistant • Saint Louis University • 2010-2012
- Synthesized Supreme Court proceedings from mid-19th century to present into half-page briefs.